Young Poets Contest
July 21 @ 8:00 am - October 1 @ 9:00 pm
The Young Poets Project
Help us celebrate our 50th anniversary! We invite poetry lovers between ages 12 and 19 to submit an original poem, in any style. If your poem is selected, it may be used along with poetry of Connecticut’s past Poet Laureate, Rennie McQuilken, in a new musical composition by Ellen Gilson Voth.
Prize – $100 Amazon Gift Card and 4 tickets to the Simsbury premiere performance in May, 2020.
Themes for the Young Poets Project
Your poem should explore a theme related to how music affects us or has an impact on our lives. For example:
- How does music release us from our struggles or pain?
- How does music help us overcome the things that could limit us or hold us back?
- In what ways can music help us reach out and care for others who are struggling?
- What does it mean to include all people in making music – regardless of how young or old, strong or weak they may be?
- Why do all people deserve the opportunity to make music and experience the power of music in their lives?
- Can you think of a time when someone old or frail responded in an unexpected way to music or to dance? How did that affect you?
Your poem can be long or short, rhyming or not. The Composer may choose to use all, or part, of the winning poem in her musical composition, but the full prize will be awarded.
If we select your poem, we’ll need a signed release from your parent or guardian before we can use it.
Your entry must be submitted to us by email no later than October 1, 2019. The winner will be announced on or about November 15, 2019. [link to how to submit by email]
We hope you’ll be inspired to create a poem celebrating the importance of music in our lives!
How to submit via email:
- Send an email with “Poetry” in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Include your name, age, your home address and a phone number where you can be reached.Also include the name of the school you attend and the grade you are in.
- Attach your poem in a Word document or PDF.
- We will acknowledge your email, but because of the number of submissions we anticipate, only the winner will be notified by email. We will post the winner information here by December 1, 2019.